The PCN Pittsburgh Bureau is located at Two Gateway Center, 603 Stanwix Street, Suite 1308, Pittsburgh, PA 15222, and is managed by Bureau Chief Brian McCarty. To contact the Pittsburgh Bureau, please call (412) 443-1080.
In “First Pennsylvanians,” Kurt Carr and Roger Moeller provide an overview of the archaeological record of Native Americans in Pennsylvania from early prehistory through the Paleoindian, Archaic, Transitional, Woodland, and Contact periods, stretching from 16,500 years ago to 1750 C.E. The authors present and analyze specific traits of each archaeological time period covered and use […]
(VIDEO) Ted and Kathy Carns are the inhabitants of The Stone Camp in Westmoreland County. For over 36 years, they have been living “off the grid”. In the book, “Off On Our Own”, Ted outlines some of the philosophical, and technical lessons they’ve learned throughout that time. They practice a life of sustainability and zero-waste. Their home features a water filtration system, garden, green room, hybrid electric system, methane gas production and storage, and even modern conveniences, such as a sauna, hot tubs, and TV. To learn more about the book and The Stone Camp, visit thestonecamp.com.
(VIDEO) A hugely successful businessman and entrepreneur, American candy magnate Milton Hershey and his wife Catherine were unable to have children of their own, so the couple set up a trust in 1909 and created the Hershey Industrial School for fatherless, healthy, Caucasian boys. Ever since its creation, the huge legal trust has poured profits from the candy business into this charitable venture, and is legally stipulated to do so in perpetuity. Since the inception of what is now known as the Milton Hershey School, the institution has become the nation s richest residential facility for impoverished youth and the richest private school.
Glenn Chandler first came to Central PA while serving with the Salvation Army. After his wife was diagnosed with breast cancer, they decided to settle down in the area. Soon, Chandler was talking to leaders of churches and non-profits about opening a thrift store that would give part of its profits to the community. CommunityAid was founded in July of 2009 in Mechanicsburg, PA. It started out with 28 employees, a single truck and a converted pet store. The store recycles and re-purposes gently-used donated items and gets them into the hands of those who can still use them. Thanks to the Grant Program, and donations to their tan CommunityAid bins, they’ve been able to donate $3.1 million to local charities, churches, and non-profits since 2009.