Benjamin W. Morris bought all of the land in Tioga County on April 7, 1802, and built the first log cabin on the knoll overlooking Wellsboro, at the end of what is now Morris Lane. It’s believed that “Wellsborough” was named after Mary Wells Morris. She was the wife of Benjamin Morris, and the brother of William Hill Wells, who, at that time, was one of the most prominent men in the United States.
Wellsboro was incorporated on March 16, 1830.
Today, the borough provides police protection, zoning, garbage collection, recycling, road and bridge maintenance, street lighting, parks and recreation, and facilities for water and sewage. The population, at last count, was 3,348 within a 5.5 square mile area.