World Meeting of Families
The World Meeting of Families is a triennial gathering of Catholics from around the world. The week-long convention hosts lectures and entertainment for children and adults. This year, the World Meeting of Families will take place in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and the theme is “Love Is Our Mission: The Family Fully Alive”. Pope Francis will be attending the closing celebration, The Festival of Families on Saturday September, 26th, as well as making several appearances throughout the city September 26th and 27th, ending with a Papal Mass hosted on the Benjamin Franklin Parkway. PCN will have coverage of several of the lectures at the World Meeting of Families conference, as well as live coverage of all the events Pope Francis will be attending.
Tuesday, September 22
- World Meeting of Families Opening Ceremony- Opening Ceremonies of the World Meeting of Families, 2015 “Love Is Our Mission: The Family Fully Alive" at the Pennsylvania Convention Center in Philadelphia.
Wednesday, September 23
- The Benefits and Obstacles of Being an Online Family- Discussion of practical tips on how we can use the internet to inform the choices we make with our family around technology presented by Dr. Melissa Anderson is a licensed child psychologist, currently consulting at The Agnes Irwin School.
- Environmental Stewardship - Explores the link between economy and ecology for the family. Touching on subjects like joblessness, insecurity, trafficking, malnutrition, and, wasted lands or fisheries. Presented by Cardinal Peter Turkson the Archbishop Emeritus of Cape Coast, Ghana.
Thursday, September 24
- Religious Freedom- This session examines freedom of will and the call to live in loving community. Living in accord with our nature is what allows us to fulfill our human destiny, and the freedom to do so is an inalienable right we must exercise and protect. Presented by Lucia Baez Luzondo, the Director of the Secretariat of Laity and Family at the Archdiocese of San Antonio, co-founder of Renovacion Familiar and MarriageBuilding USA.
- Catholic Social Teaching- The links between love within a family and the Christian imperative to follow the example of the Good Samaritan. Presented by Prof. Helen Alvaré a professor of law at George Mason University in Virginia. Her teaching and scholarship address matters concerning the family and the intersection of law and religion.
Friday, September 25
- Matrimony in Colonial America- This panel explores historical views of marriage in American culture. Since the American experience of marriage has evolved significantly over the past 250 years, it will explore the developments and their implications. Prof. Stephanie Coontz is the author of seven books on the history of family life, marriage, and gender. Marcellino D’Ambrosio is a world-renowned commentator on religious issues. Mitch Finley is the author of more than 30 books on themes of interest to Catholics. Kathy Finley is currently adjunct instructor of religious studies at Gonzaga University, as well as a counselor and spiritual director. Dr. Melissa Moschella is an assistant professor of Philosophy at Catholic University of America.
Pope Francis in Philadelphia Live Coverge
Saturday September 26th
- 10:30 AM Papal Mass at Cathedral Basilica of Saints Peter and Paul
Pope Francis will lead a Catholic Mass at Philadelphia's largest church, Cathedral Basilica of Saints Peter and Paul.
- 4:45 PM Papal Address at Independence Mall
Pope Francis will give an address at Independence Mall, he is expected to speak on religious freedom and immigration. He will make his address from the lectern where Abraham Lincoln delivered the Gettysburg Address in 1863.
- 7:30 PM Festival of Families
The closing celebration of the World Meeting of Families. This will take place on the Benjamin Franklin Parkway. The Festival will include performances from Andrea Bocelli accompanied by the Philadelphia Orchestra, and Hispanic rock star Juanes. Pope Francis will be in attendance
Sunday September 27th
- 9:15 AM Papal Meeting with Clergy at St. Charles Borromeo Seminary
Pope Francis will address international Bishops who gathered for the World Meeting of Families. The seminaries will sing "Domine" chant, an anthem unique to the seminary, three times at spontaneous intervals to serenade Pope Francis.
- 11:00 AM Papal Visit to Curran-Fromhold Correctional FacilityPope Francis will meet with prisoners at Curran-Fromhold Correctional Facility. Several of the inmates crafted a chair for the Holy Father and will present it to him on this visit.
- 4:00 PM Papal Mass on Benjamin Franklin Parkway
Pope Francis will lead a Catholic Mass on the Benjamin Franklin Parkway. Over a million people are expected to attend.